A sheet of rubber is a crucial player in products that keep things sealed and protected. But what is sheet rubber, and what are its applications? Seal Fast Inc. has the answers. Read on to learn about this versatile material.
WHAT IS SHEET RUBBER, AND WHAT ARE ITS MAIN USES?
A rubber sheet is an elastomeric material that comes in rolls or sheets. According to Process Industry Forum, you can use rubber sheeting in many ways.
It’s a popular choice in the home and industrial settings as a work surface protector, cushioning or bump stops, gasket removal and seal creation, and scraper and seal applications such as garage doors, used as a matting surface in the food and beverage industry.
In terms of commercial applications, the automotive and aerospace industries are popular users of sheet rubber. In the automotive industry, it serves as seals, gaskets, and vibration isolation, while it provides soundproofing solutions for the aerospace industry.
Different types of sheet rubber are available
Like most people, you probably don’t think much about sheet rubber. But the truth is, it is essential for various applications, from gaskets and seals to soundproofing and vibration dampening. So if you need to select the correct sheet rubber for your project, it’s essential to know the different types of rubber and their properties.
Some of the most common types of sheet rubber include:
- Neoprene Rubber Sheets: This type of rubber is oil-resistant and weather-resistant, making it ideal for gaskets, seals, and washers.
- Styrene-Butadiene Rubber (SBR): This synthetic rubber offers good abrasion resistance and resilience. It is also resistant to oil and water. Our SBR Sheet – Nylon Inserted is one example.
- Nitrile Rubber: This is a synthetic rubber that offers good oil resistance and abrasion resistance. For example, our Nitrile Sheet in Black is resistant to petroleum-based fluids.
- EPDM Rubber: This is a synthetic rubber that offers good heat resistance, weather resistance, and chemical resistance. Our Commercial EPDM Sheet is ideal if you’re looking for a reliable and rigid commercial rubber sheet.
How to select the correct sheet rubber for your needs
When choosing a commercial grade rubber sheet, there are a few factors to consider, such as:
- Type of application: Will it be exposed to high temperatures? High humidity? Chemicals? Oil?
- Level of abrasion resistance: Do you need a rubber that can withstand high levels of wear and tear?
- Level of resilience: Do you need a rubber that can withstand high compression levels?
- Level of adherence: Will high vibration levels expose the rubber?
Some tips on how to care for and maintain sheet rubber products
Here are some tips on how to manage and maintain your thick rubber sheet products:
- Store the rubber in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight or other sources of heat.
- If the rubber is exposed to chemicals, rinse it off with water as soon as possible.
- If the rubber is exposed to oil, wipe it off with a clean, dry cloth.
- Avoid sharp objects or abrasive materials that can damage the surface of the rubber.
About Mechanics points out that if you see cracks on the surface of a rubber sheet, the rubber has deteriorated and can’t be used anymore. So, it’s crucial to check your sheet rubber regularly and replace it as needed.
We don’t just sell sheet rubber – We provide a solution
If you require reliable and durable sheet rubber flooring, look no further than Seal Fast Inc. We offer a variety of sheet rubber products that are perfect for various applications. And our team is always available to help you select the ideal product for your needs. Please get in touch with us or request a catalog today. We would be happy to send one your way.